These carrot cake cupcakes are a delicious and healthy treat you can enjoy without guilt. They are high in protein and low in sugar, making them a great option for people watching their weight or trying to eat healthier.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups FINELY grated carrots, loosely measured, not packed (about 2 medium carrots)
- 2 oz organic cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, optional
- 1 teaspoon water (only if needed)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees f. and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl add: oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, protein powder, and salt. Whisk to combine dry ingredients, then set aside.
- In a second large bowl, add: melted coconut oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Divide the batter equally among your prepared muffin cups, about 3/4 full. Bake in your oven for 20-22 minutes, then remove the muffins and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, add cream cheese, yogurt, protein powder and vanilla. Whisk with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow cupcakes to set. Top the carrot muffins with frosting and chopped pecans.