- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 Sweet onion
- 16 oz pressed tofu cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Ginger powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Garam masala spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Ground turmeric
- 1 (15 oz) can of Tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt *
- 2 tablespoons Cilantro
- 1 cup Brown basmati rice
- Stovetop: In a large saucepan, boil 2 cups water, and cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Dice onions. Heat a large stockpot or skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and sauté onion for 2 minutes, until just tender. Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks.
- Add tofu and cook until lightly golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, and the seasonings, cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in yogurt (or milk), until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve immediately with rice, garnished with cilantro, if desired.
- Select the sauté mode on your instant pot and spray pot with cooking spray. Dice onions. Add the onions and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until the onion becomes tender. Cut tofu into 1-inch chunks.
- Add tofu and sauté for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients for the sauce (except the yogurt/milk), and stir everything well. Cover with the lid, make sure it is set to ‘seal’ and let cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Use the quick-release lever to release the steam as soon as the timer goes off.
- Hit the sauté button and add the yogurt (or milk), and stir to combine. When the tikka masala reaches a gentle simmer. Turn off and serve immediately with rice, garnished with cilantro, if desired.
- Dice onions. Cut tofu into 1-inch chunks. Add all ingredients (except the yogurt/milk) to the crockpot. Mix well and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Toward the end of cooking, boil 2 cups water in a large saucepan, and cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Once the tofu has cooked, stir in yogurt (or milk) and let simmer until heated through before turning off the crockpot. Serve immediately with rice, garnished with cilantro, if desired.